Thursday, November 26, 2009

Howie Mandel and his OCD. "Don't touch me" is the neame of his new book

Reprinted here for your educational and support purposes.
Sideshow: Howie Mandel's big deal is OCD

By Tirdad Derakhshani

Inquirer Staff Writer
"I'm not in control of my own mind. It goes places, and I cannot bring it back. The best description is that I feel incredibly busy in my own mind. . . . That busyness is sometimes torturous." So writes Howie Mandel in his memoir, Here's the Deal: Don't Touch Me, which details his lifelong struggle with obsessive-compulsive disorder.

The Deal or No Deal host tells USA Today his germ phobia can be debilitating: "The difference between you and me is that even when I wash my hands, I can't get it out of my mind that they're not clean. I have to go back to the sink; I can't even continue with my day."

Mandel says his family has been incredibly supportive. "My wife [Terry] and kids [Jackie, 25, Alex, 20, and Riley, 17] have had to cope throughout the years with my idiosyncrasies. It's a tightrope. All of us have gone through therapy. . . . But even with all that support and love, it's still incredibly hard, sometimes terrifying and dark." Don't Touch Me was released yesterday http://lincolnparkcarpetcleaners.com

No comments: